no, it’s not really all the same to me i do prefer natural fibers, though i’m not against a blend at all. basically, i like soft natural-looking yarn – oh , and i’m not crazy about most variegated yarn. it’s kinda wierd, i know, but there you have it.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
i took a drop-spindle class in the summer and it was really fun but i haven’t done much since then. and no, i don’t crochet. knitting is enough for me, right now.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
no allergies but i don’t like smoke-y yarn for sure.
4. How long have you been knitting?
since june 2004 – so, yup, i’m a newbie.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
i have one at powells, but it’s more just to hold the info somewhere – better prices can be found usually at either bookcloseouts.com or overstock.com.
6. What’s your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
anything natural but not too floral, except for lavender. i also like patchouli and strong spicy scents.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
definitely, especially for sweet-and-sour gummy things!
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
anything i can get my grubby hands on. i’ve sewed my own dresses and curtains, made stamps and magnets, bound my own books, and cooked like a madwoman – but all of these were done at a pretty basic level, just ‘sticking my toes in the water’, so to speak. i’m into pretty much into all craftsy stuff- anything that’s creative and practical, i love.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
i’m a mac fiend, so yup, i can handle mp3s as well as wmas, oggs, etc. music-wise i basically like rock, and old pop music, too. now that i think about it, i like opera and classical music, and i love oldies. shoot, the 80s rocks, too and disco now and then lifts my mood. in other words, i like music a lot
10. What’s your favorite color? Or—do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?
i like natural colors and deep reds. really, all colors work, but lately i’ve been drawn to any variations of red and real earthy colors.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
i live in a teeny apartment in los angeles with two sweet grey cat friends.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
argh. ummm. they’re big, that i know… i wanna be happy, independent, loved, loving, balanced, and always growing. i want to live near my family but not super near my family – and i want to live where there are seasons and snow and forests. i want to be proud of my job and feel like i’m contributing postively to humanity. and i want a fast internet connection forever and ever. oh, i could go on & on but i’ll stop there..
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
i really loved knitting with the inca organic cotton stuff – though it shed like crazy, it was so smooth and nubbly and soft. i’m all about texture, that’s mainly why acrylic yarns in general don’t appeal to me. today i fondled (that is the correct word) some manos del uruguay yarn as well as some colinette and also brushed against some rowan felted tweed. all seemed so lovely, i wanted to take them home with me, but my wallet protested. sigh. really though, i’m so new to knitting that all i know are the big (expensive) names, but i’m not in the least bit biased against any yarn that feel soft and delicious.
14. What fibers do you absolutely not like?
none of that fun fur stuff, or anything novelty, really. i like old-fashioned looking knits (with some flair, of course) so novelty yarn in general doesn’t work for me. also, as beautiful as mohair is, i’m not really attracted to its halo.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
oh, just knitting at all is my obsession. maybe i’m too new to have a sub-category obsession?
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
felted bags are fun and the felting process is forgiving of knitting errors, which is great. but i really like knitting things i get to wear – it’s so satisfying to pull something on that you knit. very cool.
17. What are you knitting right now?
just finished a sweater that is blocking as i type. so… nothing. right now, nothing.
18. What do you think about ponchos?
though i still vaguely plan on making a paris loop, i’m not super interested in making a poncho, though i think they’re cute as a concept.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
circular – i just feel safer with them
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
bamboo. i like organic things.
21. Are you a sock knitter?
no, but i plan to be.
22. How did you learn to knit?
readings stitch n bitch and cursing a lot.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
four months – it’s tasty from rowan’s r2 magazine. you can read about the disastrous-ness of my attempt here.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
i love nudibranchs, always have. cats are amazing. animated-wise… i loved the animaniacs when i was younger, and i still like animation now, but it’s a bit more grown up, like when the wind blows, this incredible sweet and depressing story about an elderly british couple dealing with a nuclear winter. there’s also some incredible russian cartoons out there..
25. What is your favorite holiday?
christmas. i love it! it’s all about family, for me; they’re all on the east coast and i miss them terribly.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
i’ve got a nice collection of pinecones, rocks, little ‘cholitos’ from bolivia, and books, of course, always books.